Thursday, November 1, 2012

Do clothes make the man?

Modesty is something important  to me. But what is modest enough? We have great friends that wear  plain solid colored dresses and caps. But are they more modest than our friends that wear skirts and shorts that stop at the knees and dont wear headcoverings?  Is one holier than the other? They both are christians.  But look totally different. Both families love Jesus. But who is 'right'?
    Is make-up modest? Is short hair modest? Is long hair on a man modest? Are pants modest for a girl? Is a kilt OK for a man? Is it wrong to dye hair? What about shaving?
   I know lots of people on both sides of the fence. Who is right? Is there room for difference? How much of what we see and do is just our immediate culture?
    Are tattoos, dreads, pearcing, smoking or a glass of wine wrong? How do you chose where to draw the line? Personal  Preference? Or biblical passages that explain your view?
   I have tons more thoughts but my nursing baby is done so I need to milk the cow. < is nursing in public(covered or not) modest?>
  Momma

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear more of these thoughts. I tried to email you but it came back to me. Please email me!

mgirl said...

"Is nursing in public (covered or not) modest?"
Nursing our children when they need it is right, no matter where we are. None of my babies ever let me cover them, and it was more of a scene if I tried to insist! I do think it's important to consider where you are, and who is around. I always tried to keep myself as covered as possible, and not "flash" anyone. However, a hungry and crying baby is much more of an attention-getter than a mother and child quietly going about their business.

I have nursed in many stores and restaurants, sitting in display chairs if necessary, and occasionally even using a stall in the restroom, though I certainly don't recommend that venue! There have been times when I've even sat in the car if I felt it would be better.

Some people are (irrationally, IMO) upset at the idea of anyone breastfeeding, and while I don't have any qualms about my stance on it, if I know they have issues, I will try to respect their need to not see it.

I have been around mothers who are not modest, who expose too much of their own bodies. Even in the privacy of your own home, if there are men other than your husband in the room, simply pulling your shirt down and your milk supply out in the open is NOT acceptable in my book! Take the baby to another room, please.

So, yes, we do need to be careful to not expose ourselves, but NO, I do not think breastfeeding in public, in and of itself, is immodest. The needs of our babies must be more important than worrying about offending someone who merely knows that your baby is being nourished. Personally, I think that we should all be visibly horrified when we see mothers shove a bottle into a mouth and prop it up as they continue on with their day.

From Webster's 1828 Dictionary:

Modest
1. Properly, restrained by a sense of propriety; hence, not forward or bold; not presumptuous or arrogant; not boastful; as a modest youth; a modest man.

2. Not bold or forward; as a modest maid. The word may be thus used without reference to chastity.

3. Not loose; not lewd.

4. Moderate; not excessive or extreme; not extravagant; as a modest request; modest joy; a modest computation.

Anonymous said...

That's a hard question but one as a parent you have to ask yourself more then once. I am for balance. Extremes just make you vunerable to be challenged but with freedom, responsibility must be taught. As a parent you must be as clear as possible. Children do not do well with do as I say not as I do. You must also save room for your children to be able at the appropiate time to bend your rule book to suit their particular circumstances as they grow & change before your eyes. Modesty is very subjective. It makes sense as long as you keep it in reasonable perspective. Follow your heart.