Friday, January 17, 2014

Marshmellows!

This silly girl had been wanting to make marshmellows since she had seen snowflake ones in the Williams Sonoma catalog last mth. I had told her I'd help but in the end she was ready and was heading to bed. Making candy scares me. A lot. I don't follow recipes. I don't have the patience for it. 
So I gave her permission to make them. And ran ( did I tell you candy making scares me?) to bed. She is 9. And mostly taught herself how to read. Guess how. She has a sweet tooth. Yep. She likes yummy stuff. So she learned to read recipes. She did great! Light fluffy beautiful. Beef gelatin. And honey. Almost good for you. And they had flavor. Highly unlike commercial marshmellows.
She is 9. I once babysat a 6th grade boy. He had told me he was taking home ec at school. I asked what he was learning. He said that so far they had made PB and jelly sandwiches.  And macaroni and cheese. The Mac and cheese gave me hope. I thought maybe just maybe it was from scratch. And that the sandwiches were just a snack. NOPE. It was Kraft. Powder cheesish stuff....
    And that was yesterday.  It was almost 15 years ago. I wonder what they teach now days...
 But I can't say I taught rhyyan about marshmellows. I did though give her a love of learning and a kitchen....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!