Thursday, February 23, 2017


Stella came from a wooded farm. Which is ideal for goats. We don't have our wooded area fenced yet. (Bought the neighbors property a mth ago) so I'm taking Stella out daily and tethering her for a hour or so. I try to get her in a brushy area. She loves the chance to get out of her smaller pen. 

  Our plan is to get two electric netting fences. One for the goats. Sheep and Daisy. And the second for the chickens. But so far he hasn't had time to look at them online. The options are endless. And consequently overwhelming. So that task waits. Soon though.  That also puts in a need for a Mobile chicken tractor for layers. I'm thinking like Justin Rhodes Chickshaw. But I'm too lazy to link it. Sorry. 

   I've nearly cleared out all the raised beds. 5 large stones and a railroad tie are left. I can't do lots of moving with my shoulder so I've decided 1 a day. Slow and steady I suppose. 

   We are schooling and that is a huge deal. Mostly because the weather begs us outside. We are trying for a even mix. The little 3 ( not counting Naomi since she's a baby) are working through easy readers. That is fun and also takes lots of patience on my end. And Malachi's. He wants to read higher lever stuff yesterday. Trying to keep him satisfied and moving forward is kinda rough. 

Patrick and I were feeling kinda ick so we attempted naps. He succeeded. But he could sleep through a rock concert. I failed but made myself rest in hopes it helps.  Naomi had something she's over now so I'm wondering if it it is why we feel like this today. 
    The rabbit ( Lady Marian Fitzwalter) is due on the 27th. But I haven't felt for babies. She's pretty skidish. 
So time will tell. We try to give them both fresh greens daily. They love it. 

  
I made this last week. A Coptic Stitch journal for this years garden, food preservation and animals. Leather bound with pretty discounted leather from Tandys. Yes. I cut it wonky. Oops. 

I like Coptic stitch because it lays flat and is simple to make.  Wisdom. Judah. And Malachi. Each made one as well. And Lilley is ready to stitch hers together. Projects cause ripples here. I needed a journal. Everyone else followed. I love it. 

   

I'm so excited. I ordered these seeds last night. I needed green beans. We have never canned enough to get us past December. Even with Grandma Katherine growing and canning some for us. Ideally we need to can enough to get to June 1st. So I'm hoping that a lb will get us somewhere. Might have to order another 1# later. These are all heirloom seeds. 

I'm looking forward to chèvre stuffed nasturtiums and vinegar and salads. Not to mention the pretty colors. So exciting!  

  Zinnias! I knew a beautiful old lady (Patrick grew up with her) named Zinnia. And Miss Dorothy was known for her zinnias. We must have vases full of them this year. 

And last but not least Borage. I think it's a lovely plant. Great for salads and pot greens. As well as (flowers) tea. And is great for bees. 

   I'm so excited. I want color everywhere. This said by a person that lived many years in navy black and brown to hide. Now I'm old and fat and bold with color. And I love it! 



    
   

   

 

   

   

No comments: