Thursday, December 29, 2011

Able Bodied Children...

My children can do anything. We know this and want them to also. Nothing is too hard. They can get it done. Tubby saw his sisters sewing and making things and joined in. He made this 'Cowboy thing' for his brother. He was so proud and worked on it a long time. All his design.
   Our children are each responsible for the daily pick up in a assigned room. I was explaining what we do for school to a friend and Tubs chimed in "AND WE DO JOBS MOMMA!We do jobs!"  He picks up the bathroom. He knows he is needed here. He has a worth.  He helps keep a eye on JewBee. He hauls in wood for the wood stove with his sisters. He can climb ladders. Color draw write. Sing, memorize.
   Build with Legos, wood, clay.  And sew. He knows how to use a needle and thread. And a sewing machine. He can do a lot in the kitchen. He is a super cheese grater.  He loves to serve food for others.
  He was 3 almost 3 months ago. We are raising our children to be hard working, self motivated honorable people.  At least we are really trying. ;)
   I have never purposed to teach a child how to tie their shoes. (yet all 4 girls can do it - Tubs has no reason too. Cowboy boots are easy ;)  ) Or to teach colors. Or how to do most things in the kitchen. But all but Jew Bee (11 mths currently) can make several things in the kitchen. They have built forts. Taken care of animals and much more. They like work most always.
   Before being a Momma I taught Preschool. Some children shocked me. They didnt think they could do anything. They were told they couldnt. They were told they were to little to do things. I hated that. I have not interest. I have done that on occassion when tired or sick. But really try not too. If work is not allowed when they are little and want too. They wont want to help later. I have seen so many parents say my children wont help. I dont know why! But when asked when they started chores and the like they give answers of 5 or 7. and said it was all forced.
    Let them work while they want too. It works.
Momma

1 comment:

joyful spirit said...

Well said! Telling a child, no you can't do that at any age is a dangerous discouragement and will have a lasting effect - I continue to stand amazed at what my grandchildren LOVE to do - and they do LOVE helping and working ♥ a proud grammy