Saturday, June 7, 2014

The beast...

My canner is a dream. I love it. Named it The Beast. It is so nice. It really fits 20 quarts. One shy of what would have tAken me 3 loads to do before. I don't have time for that.  So I avoided it. But now I can do a load a day and see huge progress! Dreamy. 

   Canning up all our dry beans. If left too long they get too hard to ever cook up soft. And last summer friends went to Colorado and got lots and lots of dried beans. We bought 75 lbs. but I never used any. Mainly the canner issue. But also cause I don't plan ahead well for meals. 
  My goal is to be jar less but Friday. That is less than a canner a day now todo that. I love buying new jars. And have had to every year for 5 years. We break some. Gift others. And have to can more and more each year. 
   Any locals with excess jars? I'll buy. 

  Canning up a load right now. Yeah!
 
Still have yet to empty the iPad... So no pictures yet....

I have garbanzos, 8 bean mix and pintos...

Canned bean food ideas...

Refried beans

Beans and salsa

Hummus

Bean salad

Casserole stretchers

Tacos

Burritos

Cowboy beans

Have anymore ideas? I like fast food. So canned meat and beans is heaven!

I'm also canning chicken. Our pastured chicken. Perfectly yummy! Fast for chicken salad and chicken burritos.

I need a bigger pantry...


5 comments:

Salehi Six said...

Yay! I'm happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Did you get an All American Canner the kind with no seals/gaskets?

Have you ever dehydrated cooked beans?

I've got two ideas to share with you for canned beans:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-dip/
http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/silky-smooth-bean-fudge/

Patrick and Emily said...

It is a all American. Mrs Meyer had one I used several times. Loved it. Was on my wish list forever!

Anonymous said...

how in the world does it fit 20 quarts. do they stack on top of each other> how do they not crack when boiling? I'm curious...

Patrick and Emily said...

Ten fit on the bottom rack. Then a second rack sits on those jars and ten more fit there. Doesn't look like it would work. But the lid is domed up enough it does.