Thursday, March 20, 2014

Our new puppy... Sandy

We just got a new puppy. Last Wednesday night we finalized the shipping arrangements. She was to be flown in from Alaska ( www.dk-9.com is where she is from) the very next morning we got 2 surprises... One our chicks were in. We were thinking they would come in the next week... We were -- surprise surprise--- not prepared. Patrick went straight to work building the brooder. We always raise our chickens in this room of the barn... But only having so much room we change things around often. And ran to town to get supplies and another town to get our chicks. Now we have week old chicks that are adorable. 25 Rhode Island reds 75 Cornish cross. Minus 4 that died. Children removed them. So I am unsure which died. 
    And while he was building... I stepped out back to the back of the barn to milk and found that Astrid. Our Anatolian/great Pyrenees had had her first set of puppies... Father is unknown... There are two. She was in labor several days and myself had no clue. The rest died. 7 puppies total. I felt so bad for her. But also relieved that we only have to deal with the two. And I have two children that think the puppies belong to them... Thankfully we have options. Two friends have volunteered to take a puppy. They both love astrid. So they were excited to hear puppies had been born. I honestly don't want to keep them. But soon might borrow a friends Anatolian/ Pyrenees mix dog for a couple mths if we can. Those I'd love to have a couple of. I'm not a fan of mutts. I like to know what my puppies are made of. 

    Here is a collage Parris made of her and sandy. 
   They both are pros at sticking out their tongues. ;) 
They kinda look alike, no? Kidding. Sounded good though. :P

I'll post a picture of astride later. They have seriously doubled in size since they were born a week ago. Despite Lilley being scared she isn't feeding them enough....

Oh! Astrid had her first kill! It was a possum. She has in the past brought us possums and knocked on the door so we could kill them. Guess her puppies changed her.

She is my baby girl. I love her. 
    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see more puppy pictures. Also, what is she like? Does she follow you around the house? Bark when someone comes over? Where does she sleep?