Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Canning apples

We picked at two neighbors homes. And got enough to fill two 5 gallon buckets. Both trees had set backs. 1 was tiny. And the deer were eating the apples fast. The second was butchered by line crews. So only the uncut side of the tree produced anything. I have never ever canned such a small amount in a day. Felt so odd. Almost not worth dirtying the tools. Not quite. I need to get used to doing small amounts. Done it several times this year. Mainly with okra in small batches. But it is still so odd. 
   A couple times with friends we had canned over 400 jars of sauce and filling in a day. Not today. ;)
My handle was in need of repair. Not sure what broke it. Hmmm. So this was dads fix for today. Worked great. 
Not sanitary conditions. Notice both children licking their fingers? Yeah. All. The.Children. Did. That. 
Slobber sauce it is. ;) 
Rhyyan saved an apple before I boiled it. 
Mom I on da counta. 
Mom I want some dat. 
Thanks mom! 
Tasting....

Good job! It is yummy!

No sugar was needed. Which is my favorite sauce. It is wonderful! I got 16 quarts. And 1 of juice. 
The children ate a half gallon. And drank a pint of juice. 

I have potatoes in jars ready to be canned. But waiting for the canner to finish with the applesauce. 

Garden DIdNT happen today. It was raining a bit this morning. So Monday I hope. But at least I can get the canning done today. 







No comments: