Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sick.

I have had a cold for 2 weeks. Keeps me from good sleep. And keeps me from sleeping for several hrs at night. And all our busy stuff lately on top of it is really draining me. Hoping a end is in sight soon. 
   Today is Thursday. So that means Tuesday, Jocelyn was not acting well.and DIdNT eat her morning ration... My thought was ketosis. So I started drenching her with molasses and giving twice daily Vitamin B shots. She is a tolerable patient. But not a prize winning one. It was a little difficult. But it wasn't helping enough. 
   Then in the night I checked on her. She was weaker. Unsteady on her feet and I suspected Milk Fever. But was unsure. At 6:30 am yesterday I checked on her again. She was most certainly down with MF. I hurried and dosed her with what I had. [ injectable vit b., human capsules of calcium, magnesium and vitamin C. And a blanket to keep her warm.her ears had gone cold between my 1:30 am check and 6:30 am check] Then called 3 vets before finding one willing to come out quickly. He got here within 45 minutes. And it is a 25 minute trip to his office. I was pleased. 
   He listened to what I had done so far as we walked out to the pasture. He gave her IV calcium 1.5 bottles, then the last .5 of the bottle in her side. A bottle of glucose. Shot of antibiotics. And one other thing I think. I need to call and ask him what it was. Then we tried to get her up. Not happening. 
   He said she might need a bit to have the strength to get up. I asked how long. This is my first experience with MF. He said it depended 1-4 hrs. Then left. That was 9 am. He was with us a hr. 
    She got worse after he left. By along shot. She quit talking. She only sometimes held her head up. Ilaid  with her. She lifted her head and laid it on my lap. I cried. I held her. Prayed for her. Begged God for her. She is my baby girl. I can't imagine not having her. 
   At one point Patrick came to check on us. Her eyes rolled back. Her head went heavy. I (we) panicked. I slapped her. Told her she couldn't die. She came out of it. I waited. And waited. And asked God to help me see the blessing in her passing. I thought she was done for. 
   Patrick and the children left to run errands. Including getting our last batch of chicks from the post office. When they got back, he came out to see if there was progress. And give me lunch. I told him it had been 4.5 hrs. She had to get up. We tried everything. She tried to get up. But gave up. Patrick heard the neighbor out. (She was right at his fence line) and hollered for him to come help. We tried again. She kept trying. Then quit again. 
   Art went home. And came back with a rod used to 'swat' a horse. He called it his horse loading stick. Patrick held the halter and pulled. Art swatted her and we all cheered her on. A minute later she was up! I hugged and kissed her. Chester set out straight away nursing. I cried again. And praised The Lord for letting me keep my girl. I stayed with her a while longer. Got her feed which she ate. Then hay which she also ate. Then checked on her a couple dozen times til 2am. 
   She is still doing well. Constantly improving. She is wonderful. And alive. And I know more about preventing MF. Farming is rough. And it about killed my already weak adrenals. Typing this all up was also stressful. But needed. I try hard to keep records. 
    My God is Greater. Awesome in power. And my Jocelyn. Is beautiful and mine. 
   

No comments: