Thursday, February 20, 2014

Coffee Roasting...

Patrick left on a business trip. But DIdNT roast coffee before he left. Which around here is a man job. I've seen him do it several times. Looks like it is simple as making the bed. I had no coffee. Just the green beans. Which smell like grass almost. Kinda. At least the same freshness. But they also have a stink to them. 
    I told Patrick as we left the house that I'd be learning to roast while he was away. So he gave me a couple pointers... 
  1: medium heat
2: first crack sounds like popcorn
3: second crack is like Rice Krispies 
4: it should take 21-24 minutes. Otherwise not proper heat level.

Ok got it. 

Got home. Finished my kitchen cleaning. I'm currently on kitchen duty here. Well except I have Malachi take out the trash. And any naughty child gets to put away the dishes. (Shhh I don't like that part)

   I decided to right then roast up the coffee. What else should be done in a clean kitchen but to spill coffee beans and blow chaff all over the floor/ counters/ and stove? Next time I'll just sit on the floor with a cup of tea and look around at the beauty of it. But we all live and learn. 
 
    I thought about photographing the process. And might next time. But the act of walking to the living room when I am ready to make coffee... I decided not to. If I had I'd likely seen the laundry and guilted myself into folding it first. Told you we all live and learn. I've been known to never get to the fun stuff due to too much other stuff.

Here is a play by play... 
 2:20- 'pretty green beans' poured a pint into the cast iron skillet. ' wonder if this is too many? Oh well looks good to me' turned fire to a medium heat. 

2:23 ' stink! What was I thinking?!? Over 20 minutes of stirring this? Em you need patience, this is good for you' yes I talk to myself. 

2:25 ' oh a little bit of change! Looks like the army now. Army colors are not too pretty'

2:29 CRACK!! Whoa! That was not like popcorn. More like a bullet..' Zing! 'DUCK! And COVER!'

2:30 ' this is going a little fast and the color isn't uniform' turned down heat a little. Chaff is building up. 'Hmmm guess ill blow on it. Get rid of the chaff which burns and smokes up the house. Annnd doesn't taste so good. Kinda fun!'

2:33 ' now I see how Patrick makes such a mess!' 

2:36 ' ouch! Quit saving the flying beans!  Ah! Rice Krispies! Wait Rice Krispies sound yum! Shoulda stopped at the store! Hmmm glad I didn't. That would add to the mess I am making'

2:40 'seems done. But Patrick said at least 21 minutes. I'm not gonna fail this'

2:41 'times up! Yeah!' Turned off the burner dumped into a strainer and winced at the chaff hitting the freshly mopped floor. That was still damp...

2:42 walked to the back door to cool the beans outside. Slipped on the floor and... Got annoyed. Stepped outside to dump the coffee from one strainer to the other to cool it fast. 

I'll be making a pot very soon... Very soon. Ok right now. Cause I can. Mmmm if you come over I'll share! No promises on taste though...
Looks yummy to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did it taste? I had no idea how much was involved for roasting coffee beans!

Patrick and Emily said...

So yummy! We have now roasted 3 times since he has been gone. I think I need to put a age limit on the coffee... ;)
Next time you come I need to send some coffee with you!