Friday, August 29, 2014

Sunflowers.


Patrick and the children planted a few sunflowers this year. They are beautiful. 
These were all harvested prematurely. Storm a couple weeks ago broke 5-6. 
This one still got huge. We got the seeds from a friend in Iowa. And hope to plant many more next year. They are minimal work with a decent yield.  And a fun snack we all love. 
Sunflowers were my Grandmas favorite. So we all like to smile at them. Reminders of her are blessings. Makes me happy when my children see them and say 'wish grandma could see these' or grandma would love these. 
Decent stash of sunflower seeds. This is around a fifth of what I am expecting. Mmmm



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat. You know I've never seen sunflowers on the plant still. It's hard for me to imagine what they look like even with the pictures. I will have to plant some next year. My "aunt" gave me some seeds years ago that she saved from her farm. I wonder if they'll still sprout. Would be nice to have some from her...

Patrick and Emily said...

I counted tonight we have 24 heads left to go. But not sure when to pick them. The others were broke. Easy to know then...